Ste. Genevieve : 573-883-3056
St. Louis : 314-260-6120
NASHVILLE : 615-733-8168
Toll Free : 888-367-6512

When Should You Consider Back Taxes A Cause For Alarm

Back taxes are simply taxes that you owe that you didn't pay when they were due.  If you've underpaid taxes for any reason, the balance that you owe is considered back tax. You may have failed to report taxable income (intentionally or unintentionally, it doesn't matter) - as the IRS sees it...you still owe them money in the form of a back tax. Some people don't have the money when the tax bill comes around, so they just don't pay.  They may plan on paying the money when they're able...but that time never seems to come around. If nothing seems to happen or they don't get 'caught', some people start believe that they've somehow slipped under the radar of the IRS and that they're getting away with it. They're not. In fact it, may take years for the IRS to come after you, but they will eventually. How do you know your back tax problem is getting serious? Here's how it happens: 1. You'll get sent a Notice of Demand for Payment from the IRS. 2. You either pay or don't pay the tax. 3. If you don't pay you'll be sent a Final Notice of Intent to Levy and Notice of Your Right to a Hearing at least 30 days before the levy. That's when you know you've got big problems. That means in 30 days, the IRS is going to start helping themselves to the money in your bank account.  If you've received a Final Notice of Intent to Levy, you need to take action immediately, if this has happened to you.  There's absolutely no time to waste. Once I investigate your case, I may find that there are a number of solutions that could keep the IRS from dipping into your bank account and causing you serious financial hardship:

  • You may have some deductions come into you that you didn't claim.
  • The IRS may have miscalculated your tax.
  • I may be able to negotiate a legal extension in the process.

Plus, we may find out that:

  • You could be Declared Non-Collectible Status.
  • You could have the debt reduced through an Offer-In-Compromise.
  • You could set up a monthly installment agreement plan.
  • You could set up a partial installment agreement (where you pay less than the total owed).
  • You may declare Bankruptcy depending on your situation.

How Can We Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Ste. Genevieve Office
150 Merchant Street
(By Appointment)
Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670

Phone: 573-883-3056
Fax: 573-883-3095
Ste. Genevieve Law Office Map

St. Louis Office
3636 South Geyer Road, Suite 100
(By Appointment)
St. Louis, MO 63127

Phone: 314-260-6120
Fax: 314-238-7201
Map & Directions

Nashville Office
424 Church Street, Suite 2000
PMB 293
Nashville, TN 37219

Phone: 615-733-8168
Map & Directions

Review Us